Monday 30 March 2015

Quite a special evening.

Throughout the day, my phone kept pinging with Aurora alerts, but as I gazed through the window, the gloomy grey skies did nothing to brighten my spirits. After a discussion that evening, a friend and I decided to throw caution to the wind, after careful scrutiny of the cloud forecast for the North of England. A trip across the A66 did not offer us much encouragement, as the cloud layer was still pretty hefty and showed no signs of abating. We initially landed at Castlerigg Stone Circle, but decided to move on to seek a break in the cloud. Targetting Derwent Water, we made it to the waters edge, with the cloud illuminated strongly by the light pollution from Keswick. As we set about firing some test shots, the cloud appeared to be clearing, and a faint touch of green was visible in the west.
Quickly setting the camera to sequential release, I stood back and watched the cloud slowly dissipate, to reveal an unforgettable display of dancing light and colour in the night sky. While the strongest part of the storm lasted for a mere 20 minutes, it felt like an age, and will be one of those experience that lasts with me for the rest of my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment